Korean Poem "Jealousy Is My Strength" / by Ki Hyung-do ( 질투는 나의 힘 / 기형도 作 )



 "Jealousy Is My Strength" / by Ki Hyung-do

                                         질투는 나의 힘 / 기형도 作


 After a very long time has passed,

아주 오랜 세월이 흐른 뒤에

A feeble bookmark will let this paper fall.

힘없는 책갈피는 이 종이를 떨어뜨리리

For in those days, my heart built so many factories—

그때 내 마음은 너무나 많은 공장을 세웠으니

Foolishly, I had so much to record.

어리석게도 그토록 기록할 것이 많았구나

Like a dog wandering slowly beneath the clouds,

구름 밑을 천천히 쏘다니는 개처럼

I lingered in the air, never tiring.

지칠 줄 모르고 공중에서 머뭇거렸구나

I possessed nothing but sighs;

나 가진 것 탄식밖에 없어

Gazing at my youth standing on evening streets,

저녁 거리마다 물끄러미 청춘을 세워두고






I marveled as I counted the days I had lived.

살아온 날들을 신기하게 세어보았으니

No one feared me,

그 누구도 나를 두려워하지 않았으니

And the substance of my hope was nothing but jealousy.

내 희망의 내용은 질투뿐이었구나

And so, for now, I leave this brief note here:

그리하여 나는 우선 여기에 짧은 글을 남겨둔다

My life wandered madly in search of love,

나의 생은 미친 듯이 사랑을 찾아 헤매었으나

Yet never once did I love myself.

단 한 번도 스스로를 사랑하지 않았노라

----------------------------------------

About the Author

Ki Hyung-do

(March 13, 1960 – March 7, 1989) was a South Korean poet and journalist. His posthumous poetry collections include *Black Leaf in the Mouth* and *I Write After Losing Love*.


Ki Hyung-do possessed a beautiful soul at the age of twenty; perhaps he should be called the Yun Dong-ju of the *fin de siècle*. 

-------------------

On a day when I suddenly find myself thinking of Ki Hyung-do—a genius poet whose life was cut far too short...


I recall the days of my own wandering twenties, when I would hold his poetry collections and find myself both weeping and smiling.


I am suddenly reminded of that young person I was in my twenties—someone who could not love themselves and envied the world and others.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling from Seoul to Gangneung and Sokcho

Korea Trip "Seoul → Andong → Gyeongju → Seoul: A 3–4 Day Journey Through Korea's Living History"

Yeongwol Travel Guide: Traces of King Danjong & Film Location